Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Every Detail

Anyone who spends any amount of time with me will soon find out that my sweet mommy is my best friend in the whole world.  I absolutely adore her.  She is one of the strongest women I know.  Jesus Christ radiates from her presence.  She literally lights up a room and brings a sense of calmness and peace to every situation.  If I can be half the woman my mother is, I'll applaud myself as having achieved a successful life.
Now, as you can probably guess, the prospect of leaving my precious mama and best friend for 6 whole months is ripping my heart out.  And even though both of us know that God has clearly called me to China and even though we both have His perfect peace...we're just flat out going to miss each other.  I've been away at college for over 2 years, but we still talk every single day (usually multiple times) and always text throughout the day.  Things are going to change when I move 7000 miles away.  It will be different--not better or worse, just different.  And I'm going to miss my best friend.

But God knew this was coming long before we did.  And He began making provisions before China was even a brief thought.  You see, leaving my mama makes me so sad not only because I'm going to miss her, but also because I hate knowing that she'll be lonely.  Don't get me wrong, my sweet Daddy is a great companion (Just in case he's reading this...hehe!).  But there's just something about that mother-daughter-best friend-girly bond that just isn't quite the same.  And this is where our sweet friend Linnie comes into the picture.
God strategically placed Linnie, her husband Lorne and their two precious kiddos in our lives about a year ago.  They have been such a blessing as we've grown closer over the year.  Linnie is wonderful.  She is one of the most giving, servant-hearted people I know.  I have watched her give of herself over and over, never expecting anything in return.  The sweetness of Jesus exudes from her at all times.  Linnie knows what loneliness feels like because she lost her mama at a very young age.  Many other people in her life have also passed away, leaving her alone. 
Perhaps you can see where this is headed.  But, to make a long story short...God has so sweetly orchestrated each and every detail of this relationship.  His bringing our two families together was not random or unplanned.  His timing and His ways are perfect and I couldn't have scripted a better story if I tried.  I am so proud to say that I have a new big sister.  My mama has another daughter.  I have a precious new nephew and niece.  And we couldn't be happier or more thankful.  You see, adoption isn't necessarily about bringing an orphaned child into your home.  The "Spirit of Adoption" that Paul talks about in Romans 8:15 reaches farther than typical adoption scenarios. Its the building of families within the Kingdom, and whether or not those families include legal paperwork matters not to God!  Its the same Spirit of adoption by which are privileged to call the King of the universe "Abba Father".  We are his children.  We are co-heirs with Christ.  And we are to model the spirit of adoption here on earth.  Its beautiful!

We serve a God of details.  He leaves not one stone unturned.  I can board that plane in 37 days with a light heart, knowing that my precious mommy has her other daughter, son-in-law, and grandbabies to keep her lots of company while I'm away.  She has someone to text 20 times a day.  She has someone to give her famous "mama hugs" to.  She has someone to buy little gifts for.   She'll still miss me, of course...but lonely?  Nahhh.  God has already stepped in to fill that void.  Do I feel like I'm being replaced? Not.in.the.least.  I say--the more the merrier!  I am just in awe of my amazing God who answers every single prayer with perfect precision.  Last April when I found out that I was for sure going to China, I called my mama sobbing (not with tears of happiness).  Mom just happened to be standing in Linnie's kitchen when I called, so Linnie was the first to be able to comfort and speak words of peace over my (our) mom.  Coincidence?  I do not serve a God of coincidences.  I serve a God of faithfulness. 





For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba Father!"  The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
Romans 8:15-17
Adoption is God's idea! Our lives are so much more satisfying, fulfilling and just plain FUN when we model God's ideas--especially when we leave the details up to Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment