Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Best Friend


Meet my best friend.  This is Ellen.  She is my gift from God.  I am convinced that this is the kind of friendship that most people long for, but few actually find.  Its the kind of friendship that goes much deeper than the superficial hum drum that characterizes many relationships.  Its' deep and its raw.  And I think its what God intended when he said "Love one another deeply, from the heart" I Peter 1:22.

Ellen and I have a very unique relationship.  You see, we've only actually ever seen each other a total of seven times.  That's right, only seven times.  She is from South Dakota and I'm from Georgia.  During the summer of 2006, we both traveled with Brio Magazine to Lima, Peru.  We were roommates.  From day one, I knew this relationship was different.  We spent every waking moment together--holding babies, washing hair, serving food, worshiping, talking into the wee hours of the night-- you name it.  I don't really know how to explain it, but all I know is that God had a divine plan and I am so thankful. Since 2006, we have taken turns visiting each others' homes.  We've gotten to know each others' families and friends.  As my mom would say, "She is really just one of us!"

In 2008, my best friend decided to take Jesus' words literally.  She felt him tugging at her heart, nudging her toward a life on the mission field.  She made hard choices and decided to quit college and go.  She spent nine months in South Africa.  But we both knew that nine months was just the beginning.  This was a life change.  This December, she returned from another ten month term in Africa and she's preparing to go back in May for an unknown amount of time.  So, here we go! I'm moving to China, she's moving back to Africa.  We just keep telling each other that we are so glad to serve a God that holds the WHOLE world in his hands!  Distance is nothing to Him!

Ellen and I are truly kindred spirits.  God set us both apart at a young age.  That caused many years of loneliness as we struggled to keep our eyes on Jesus during those hard and awkward teenage years.  When God finally brought us together, He deposited a little breath of fresh air in each of our lives.  Finally! Someone who understands! And even now,  when Ellen and I are not able to talk for weeks, the Holy Spirit still has a way of giving us the same heartbeat.  We are often going through very similar circumstances and struggles without even knowing that the other person is struggling with the same thing.  When we're together, we spend countless hours talking, praying, worshiping, reading, and sharing.  It is truly unlike anything I have ever known.  Ellen has been here visiting for the last week.  We've had lots of adventures including a day at Disney, a trip to the beach, hours in front of a warm fireplace with hot coco, photo shoots, and lots of pillow talk.  But what always stands out the most is the precious moments we spend together with our Savior.  Last night we spent over an hour praying over each other.  And as we prepare to send each other off to these foreign lands, there is nothing that could bring more peace.

My heart broke as I left Ellen at the airport this morning.  There is no telling when we'll see each other again.  And as I watched her walk away, I had to consciously open my hands and give her back to God.  She belongs to Him-- and there is no safer place for her to be.  And now I rejoice.  I rejoice in my Jesus who has given me this amazing gift that I will never deserve.  And I rejoice that my Jesus is the protector and preserver of all friendships that are founded upon Him.





Friends
And friends are friends forever
If the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say never
'Cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands we know

That a lifetime's not too long to live as friends.