Friday, May 25, 2012

From my China home


Dear friends, 

I have finally made it to my home on the far side of the sea.  What a relief to finally be in view of this big blue building that I can now call home once again.  And it has been a homecoming to remember, that's for sure.  Mariah and Rebecca met me at the airport on Friday afternoon.  My flight had been delayed and we ended up sitting on the runway for 2 hours waiting to take off...I was tired, hungry, and immensely over  airplanes by the time I arrived.  It was such a comfort  to have two sweet friends and a ice cold coffee waiting on me (Thanks for sharing your coffee, Mariah!).  I'll be living in a bedroom with Rebecca.  When I walked in the door of our room, I was able to let out a sigh of relief and breathe in the comfort.  She had gotten all the preschool kids to draw me pictures and had them waiting on my closet door.  There were "welcome home" notes and goody bags and even some laundry detergent sitting on my bed.  He is so good to give me precious friends who shower me with this love that I certainly do not deserve! After freshening up, they took me up to introduce me to the doctor and his family that now live in the big house.  Their home is full of life and energy! I am so excited to spend the next few months getting to know them and their precious kiddos.  Then finally, it was time to go see the littles. The ones who I have been dreaming about for months.  The ones who have forever stolen my heart.  The reason He has brought me back to the far side of the sea.  And I want you to know, it was better than I could have imagined.
I walked into the tinkerbelle room, where the children knew I would be arriving soon.  The surprise on their faces when I walked in was priceless.  I scooped one up in my arms and kissed him all over.  He just could not stop giggling.  His belly laughter filled the room for 20 minutes at least.  The nannies and I couldn't help but laugh along with him!  The kids kept screaming, "Abby came back! Abby came back! Abby came back!!!!"  We giggled together and I showered them with kisses.  It's not very often they have someone leave them and then come back into their lives.  I am so thankful to be that person right now.  
Its amazing how familiar everything feels.  About half way through the long plane ride, I began to feel that panicky feeling of "Oh dear, what am I doing?!".  The good-byes had been brutal, as expected.  The airports were rushed and crazy, so that was the first moment I'd had a chance to think.  I tried to take my thoughts immediately to the Cross and He gave me comfort, but I was still pretty anxious and unsure walking off the plane.  But a wonderful thing happened soon after I stepped off.  I began hearing people speak...and I somewhat understood.  I began looking around and everything had a hint of familiar.  I began taking deep breaths and even the smells were comforting.  He reminded me that He's not bringing me to a strange, unfamiliar land.  He's bringing me back to a place that I have grown to love and cherish, a place that I hold deep within my heart...A place that I've longed for for the past 10 months...A place where I've experienced some of my highest and lowest moments.  He is bringing me to another place that I can call home.   
 My heart is bursting at the seams...literally.  All I can offer up is a big, "Thank you, Abba, thank you." After many tearful goodbyes and a long journey across the world, He has given me the sweetest most heart-warming welcome I could imagine.  He didn't have to do that.  But I am thankful beyond words that He did.  Do you know that He is so real? And He is so involved in every single detail of our lives.  Do you know that He really does give us the desires of our hearts? Do you know that He delights in seeing us smile?  I pray that you feel that today.

1 comment:

  1. SO happy to know you are back to that special place Abby. I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete