Monday, May 23, 2011

Goodbyes and Hellos

(I wrote this blog on Sunday, the 22nd but couldn't post due to internet problems! 对不起!)

   I woke up this morning with that familiar ache in my heart.  It’s the ache that comes with saying goodbye and anticipating change.  It’s the ache that comes when one season of our lives comes to an end so that a new one can begin.  It’s an ache that I’m beginning to know very well.  

Thirteen weeks ago when my plane touched down in Chengdu, I wondered if I would ever feel comfortable there.  There was so much unknown.  Those of you who have walked this journey with me can remember the battle with fear I faced during the days leading up to my arrival in Chengdu.  But I am pleased (and not surprised) to announce that once again, He is faithful.  Over the past three months, I have witnessed mountains move and hearts change.  I have walked through valleys so low and yet felt strength.  I have wept, I have laughed, I have made life-long friends.  Yesterday was filled with teary good-byes and lingering hugs (and you all know how bad I hate good-byes), but in the midst of it all His perfect peace remains.  Just the fact that my heart is torn in half shows that He is faithful.  It shows that He brings people and seasons in and out of our lives for His glory. And no matter where you are or what you’re doing, He is there.  
As I was preparing for this transition, my precious friend Devin made a statement that I have been pondering over the past few days.  She said, “Change is the only thing constant about our lives.”  It’s so true, isn’t it?  Things are always changing…and this will be the story of our lives as long as we live on this earth.  Everything.here.is.temporary.  Everything, that is, except our King. 

Praise HIM that we serve a King who will
 never
 ever
ever
 ever change.

  The world around us may be a constant whirlwind of change and transition, but we stand on solid ground.  And one day, one glorious day, there will be no more good-byes.  No more tears, no more lingering hugs, no more achy hearts.  Today, we can only see Him dimly, but one day…one glorious day, we will see Him face to face.
I want to share with you some of the sweet memories that were made during my last week in Chengdu.  It has been a full week, indeed! 
Last Saturday, Ryan, Erik, Devin and I participated in a fun run! It was definitely fun! I will never forget running through a little China town as the local people stare at us in disbelief, wondering why in the world a bunch of foreigners are huffing and puffing their way through their streets.  Priceless.

Monday was sweet Devin’s birthday.  We celebrated by going out for all you can eat sushi on Sunday night and then a fun surprise party on Monday!  祝你生日快乐,卫得文!


On Tuesday night, Devin and I attended our last “English Salon” at our favorite Coffee Shop.  We have spent hours upon hours at this little shop, studying and chatting.  We became friends with the owner, Luna.  Tuesday night was a little going away get together complete with free drinks and a gift! Thanks, Luna!

Precious Luna!

Wednesday, our class went to lunch at a fancy hotel buffet.  Then we went to KTV, a popular karaoke hangout.  Our class is so much fun.  Devin and I literally giggle through the entire class period every single day.  Tell me, when again will I be in a class with 3 Americans, 5 Saudi Arabians, 1 Korean,  1 from Sweden, 1 from Bangladesh…and I might be forgetting some.  It really is a circus.  One I’m proud to be a part of.

Our sweet teacher, Zheng Laoshi

On Friday evening, we went to my favorite Chinese restaurant for my last dinner.  We literally ordered every delicious thing on the menu.  Sweet friends Ryan, Erik and Devin came downstairs dressed in matching t-shirts…that HAD MY FACE ON IT! How priceless is that?! I was touched…even if the picture on the shirt isn’t the most flattering thing in the world.  Thanks guys! 

The gang with Uncle Tian, owner of our favorite restaurant!


Where Dev and I took our first picture together 3 months ago!

On Saturday morning, Devin, Amanda, and I went to breakfast with our precious local friend, Lydia.  If a breakfast hour can be anointed, this one definitely was!  I wasn’t prepared for the wave of emotions that would overtake us all, but I think it will be one of my sweetest memories in China.  We sat around the table and cried while we took turns talking to our best friend.  Lydia, you are a precious gem who has forever impacted my life.  I know Him better because I know you. 

Amanda and I are truly Chinese :)

Saturday evening, Devin and I went out for dinner with our Chinese teacher, Zheng Laoshi.  She is a crazy, fun woman! She took us to a local restaurant and then dropped us off at our friends, the Funky’s, house where we spent the night.  We lay in bed and talked into the wee hours…laughing, crying, and sharing memories from the past thirteen weeks. 
So as you can see, my week has been filled to the brim.  My heart is heavy today because good-byes are not easy.  But I cannot possibly wallow in sadness when I look back see the glimpses of His faithfulness.  Oh, the depths of His love! My cup truly overflows.  Now I’m sitting in the Beijing airport waiting for the arrival of my sweet Mama.  My heart is already beating fast as I imagine seeing her face coming down that walkway.  All I can say is, “Thank you, thank you, thank you.”  And thank YOU, my dear friends, for following my journey and for being so faithful in prayer.  I am totally dependent upon those prayers. Check back soon for a picture of one happy girl with one happy mama.  

No comments:

Post a Comment