Monday, May 2, 2011

Thank you, China

Dear China,

There are many things I love about you.  I love your distinct smells and your busy streets.  I love seeing small children in split pants with their little bums exposed.  I love your early mornings when all the street vendors are setting up to begin a new day.  I love your curiosity and eagerness to be friends with foreigners.  I love your people--your sweet, precious people.  China, you have won my heart and I'm thankful for the opportunity to spend six months with you.

But there is one thing I am particularly appreciative of.  Something that I've never been able to find in America.  Something that I've thought about and wished for...but never knew it actually existed.

China dearest, thank you for:
Miniature loaves of bread


Its ingenious, really.  You know, some days, I just really crave a good old fashioned peanut butter sandwich.  Just two slices of bread and some JIF (even skippy will do!).  I'm a college student. I live in a dorm room...alone.  I really don't need 20 pieces of bread when I only want one lil' ole sandwich. Plus, the thought of paying for 20 pieces of bread when I only need 2 just doesn't seem right.  But you, dear China, have remedied my conundrum! You offer baby loaves of bread.  I can choose 4 or 6 or 8 pieces of bread.  I can stop by the market and pick up my 4-piece loaf of bread and have one left over sandwich for lunch the next day.  No excess leftovers, no icky mold...just two perfect sandwiches.  

Thank you, China, for your thoughtfulness toward my peanut butter sandwich-lovin' heart.  I don't know how many people stop and take the time to properly thank you for your kindness. It does not go unnoticed.

Sincerely, 

Abby

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you can still have your peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seriously crack. me. UP, Abbie! I have never seen those mini loaves of bread on our trips to China...they were holding out on us! So glad you found them, to take care of your PB fixes!

    ReplyDelete