Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Life

I realized today that it has been quite a long time since I've written a post simply updating you on my life here in Chengdu.  My time here is coming to an end.  With only 9 days left in Chengdu, I've been doing a lot of thinking, basking, and thanking.  He is so good, do you know that? 

Life has started to feel somewhat "normal", which I had heard it takes about 3 months for this to happen.  Just in time for me to pack up and begin a new journey, aiya! Tis life, I suppose!  My mornings are filled with Chinese classes (which are going pretty well!) and the afternoons (except Wednesday and Thursday) are free to fill with whatever my heart desires.  I have been spending a lot of time studying lately, being that I had my religion final yesterday, my Chinese final is on Monday, and my culture paper and final are due next Thursday.  Gotta end with a bang!

Last weekend was wonderfully busy.  Friday evening was spent with some friends "out on the town".  We went to the downtown area, walked around, and ate dinner.  The days are getting longer and warmer.  I love summer evenings when the sun doesn't set until after 8pm and the streets are filled with families going on walks after dinner.

I spent the whole day on Saturday with my sweet friend Molly.  We ate lunch together and spent the afternoon studying (She studies English, I study Chinese--works out well!).  That evening, we met up with some other friends for dinner.  I don't think I've mentioned Lydia on my blog yet.  She is a local girl we met a few weeks ago.  Let me just say...this girl is incredible.  She is probably one of the most radiant people I have ever met.  Devin, Amanda and I have been meeting with her on Saturday nights to chat about important things (very important things).  The details will have to be saved for another time, but can I just say, this makes list for my top 5 favorite moments in this country.  I witnessed big things.  Things that can only be explained by our mountain-moving Friend.  This.is.why.I'm.here.
One of my most prized pictures


This past Monday, Devin, Erik, Ryan and I had the opportunity to visit an elementary school to teach English.  The school was about 3 hours away, near the epicenter of the earthquake that ravished this country 3 years ago today.  This small countryside town has just been rebuilt.  We all thought we'd be in pairs to teach the classes, but much to our surprise (and dismay!) we had to teach ALONE!  No plans, no experience, no knowledge of the children's language levels...but we gladly dove right in.  I had a blast.  I chose to teach 3rd and 4th graders.  Two classes of 40 kiddos all to myself.  The first class was a little.....rocky.  Kids don't start learning English until 3rd grade, so didn't understand anything.  I tried to think of games...simon says? Fail.  Hokie pokie? Fail..."How about Old Mcdonald's Farm? Surely we can handle animal sounds!"  Wrong! Did you know that in China, the dogs say, "Wang Wang" instead of "Ruff Ruff or Woof Woof?"  Yep, I didn't know either.  Needless to say, it was a long 40 minutes!  The second class went much better. They caught on to Simon Says (Or Abby Says, as I like to call it) quite quickly and they had all heard old mcdonald's farm before, so they could sing along.  Score! I was exhausted by the end, but my heart was so light and joyful! What a sweet opportunity to work with these precious kiddos...even if only for a few hours.

Tomorrow, I will be visiting the orphanage one last time.  This is a huge blessing because I didn't think I'd be able to go again before leaving to head back to Maria's.  I can't wait to kiss those sweet faces one last time.  I can't wait to hold them as I pray specifically for that one child.  I can't wait to face reality. Even though the pain cuts deep into my heart...I want to see what HE sees.  I want to hurt when HE hurts.  I want to ACT when He acts.  May the tears flow freely and unashamedly. These precious ones are not forgotten.

Saturday will be a milestone in my life.  Wanna know why?  I'm running my first 5k!  I've never been a runner, I'm not a runner now, and I'll probably never be a runner.  But sometimes I enjoy a light jog.  This opportunity came about and I thought, "Why Not? China is as good a place as any!"  So, think of me on Saturday morning at ahem...5:00am as I get ready to head to my first race!

Next week will be my last week in Chengdu. I really can't believe it.  My heart holds many emotions as I'm preparing to leave.  I am so so so excited to get back to Maria's...I'm so excited to be back with the beloved babies and to spend hours and hours and hours kissing their sweet necks and playing peek-a-boo.  But my heart will be sad to leave this city that I have called home for 13 weeks.  I dread the goodbyes.  He has been so so so so so good.  The fact that my heart is sad, the fact that I'm going to miss this place,  the fact that I'm going to miss my precious friends---these are just evidences of His sweetness.  I stand in awe.

AND, as I prepare to leave, I have the JOYOUS anticipation of knowing that when I arrive in the Beijing airport on the 22nd, my sweet Mommy will be only hours from arriving!  My heart beats fast just thinking about that first hug.  I can't wait to get my arms around her neck and take in a HUGE whiff of mama smells! We'll have ten glorious days together--talking, praying, crying, laughing, talking, praying, crying, laughing...I told her we're not allowed to sleep! No time to waste! :)

Thank you for following my journey, sweet friends and warriors! And as I end this leg of the journey and begin the next, I know that He indeed has GREAT things in store!  What a mighty One we serve!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Sweet Abby! How amazing to think of how soon your journey in Chengdu will soon be over. I can only imagine the bittersweet tears that will flow when you leave.

    And, I can only imagine the joy that is keeping your mother awake at night as she prepares to meet you in CHINA!

    Check out our blog and see what He has done for us!

    ReplyDelete