Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Mama

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.  Give her the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates. 
Proverbs 31: 30-31

My Mama.  Oh. how I wish words could express  the depths of love and adoration I have for this woman I call Mama. She is a true gem--a pearl of great value. One in a million. A lily among thorns.  And I thank my King every single day for blessing me with this precious gift.  You see, she's not just my Mama.  She's my best friend.  This relationship is a gift that many mothers and daughters long for..  I am so thankful.

Memories from my childhood are infiltrated with sweet thoughts of this precious woman.  She used to sit on the front porch of my playhouse for hours while I played inside.  She was the official "babysitter" for all my "children".  I played by myself pretty well, but I just liked knowing she was there.  Her presence brought comfort.  So hour by hour she would sit. 

I remember snuggling up in my bed after a long day and she would read stories to Luke and me before bedtime.  We would close our eyes and just listen.  I'm sure she still had tons of household chores to do after we went to bed, but I never remember bedtime being rushed.  It was always a sacred time of "I love yous" and snuggles.  (Truth be told, I still like her to tuck me in when I'm home...folks, I'm almost 21 years old! That can be our little secret!).

I remember my Mama being the "Class Mom" in my elementary school classes.  She would show up every Wednesday afternoon to volunteer.  She would usually sit in a corner and cut out things or staple papers, and I loved every second of just knowing she was nearby.

One time, in particular, I remember I desperately wanted to stay up and watch a meteor shower.  (I probably didn't even know what a meteor shower was at that point!) But it sounded cool.  It was a really really cold night, and after a few hours of begging, she gave in.  We got our sleeping bags and headed out to the driveway.  It snuggled up and waited...and waited...and waited.  Never saw that meteor shower, but I still remember that night.  I'm sure the last thing Mom really wanted to do was sit out in the bitter cold to watch the stars...but she did it anyways!

I love my Mama for all these memories.  I am thankful for every sacrifice she made and every tear she has  shed on behalf of her children.  But most of all, I am thankful that my Mama showed me Him.  You know, I really have no idea if I would know Him like I do now if it weren't for my sweet Mama.  Her prayers, her example, her words, her songs, her sweet spirit, her hospitality, her joy, her kindness...she has been HIM to me.  She raised me to KNOW Him and to love Him...and now she has loved me enough to let me FOLLOW Him.  Even if that means that I have to go very very very far away.  Thank you, Mama, for loving Him enough...and for loving me enough...to let me follow Him.  Your support and blessing mean the world to me.  

My Mama always says, "Remember, you have a Mama who prays for you every single day."  Oh, the power of a praying Mama!


Happy Mother's Day to the best Mama in the whole wide world. 
I love you mostest





P.S- Only 14 days until I see my sweet Mama on my side of the sea! Praise HIM for this priceless gift!
.

3 comments:

  1. Such a sweet tribute to your mama, Abby. What a precious gift the two of you share! I am praying for your time together in just a couple of weeks. Enjoy! Mama Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day Abby, to someone with a bigger mama's heart than anyone I know.
    Hope you are doing well and I think of you often.
    Love Kim M
    Ontario, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes have become a sea ... How sweet and what a great example of a daughter of God she is to u. No wonder u turned out so well

    -Christine-

    ReplyDelete