Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Heaviness and Joy

Where to begin?  I'm usually not at a loss for words, but today for some reason, I am.  My heart is full, dear ones. My time here has been beautiful so far.  I think the transition is going pretty smoothly.  Of course, there are moments of homesickness and moments where I think, "Oh my...coming here for 6 months is a big deal!" But for the most part, my days have been filled with much peace and joy.  I've had more jet lag this trip which has caused some weariness.  I've been waking up around 4:30am wide awake! But thankfully I did sleep through the night last night and it was very sweet. "When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet." Proverbs 3:24

The team who met me at the airport left for home today, so things are quieting down a bit.  The next week will be filled simply with becoming acclimated with the building, staff, and of course, the babies.  The real grind will begin when I return to Maria's in May.  For now, my job is to love.  What a sweet calling.  (Side note: please be praying that the language will start coming easily for me! I long to communicate with the babies and their nannies!)

Being here is causing me to really wrestle with some tough issues.  Its very sobering to be living in a huge home with 100+ orphans.  Children who have never known what it feels like to have someone or some place to call "mine".  All they have ever known is people leaving them.  You see, when I'm home, I'm removed from the reality.  We talk about the orphans in the world and we have compassion for them...but its so different to hold them in your very arms and stare into their tiny faces.  It changes everything.  I have so many questions swirling around in my head.  Why, God? Why do you allow these children to be orphans? Why are they sick?  Why are they dying alone and afraid when I'm living a life of luxury?  How is this okay? I am so glad that my Jesus can handle my questions...questions don't scare Him one bit.  And you know what, I will probably never know the answers this side of eternity.  But instead of causing weariness and overload, I must take my questions and place them at the foot of the cross.  I must cling to Jesus all the more because I know that He is the Father to the fatherless and He is the Great Physician.  Orphan care is not for the faint of heart, folks.  And its a good thing that we can lay our questions at His feet and rest in His Sovereignty. He is good. Period. He fights for those who cannot fight for themselves.  He is close to the brokenhearted.  He is the comforter and healer.  He is Jesus Christ.

And one thing I do know.  Jesus is close to these babies.  His heart beats for them. And they have a special place in eternity.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meet, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Matthew 5:3-9
On a lighter note, take a look at these precious, adorable, priceless treasures and tell me they're not the cutest things you have ever seen!



He will tend his flock like a shepherd; He will gather the lambs in His arms; He will carry them in His bosom.
Isaiah 40:11