Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Another P Word...Peace

My journey begins the day after tomorrow.  All these months of planning and anticipation are finally coming to a head.  I should probably be running around frantically trying to remember every detail.  Uh, didn't I pack this already? Oh, we forgot about that! Another Walmart run, seriously?  I should probably be doing a last minute load of laundry, making sure everything is fresh and clean and smells like home.  Or maybe I should be checking to make sure my plane tickets are in order and confirmed.  But ironically, I'm not doing any of those things.  You want to know what I'm doing?

I am sitting in the family room in our big fat recliner listening to the fireplace crackle, while Mr. Riley John Akridge (our sweet doggy) sits at my feet. I'm taking a few moments to bask in His Peace.  His perfect peace that surpasses all understanding.  I woke up this morning and had a leisurely breakfast with our sweet friends who I mentioned here.  I don't feel frantic or stressed at all really.  This.is.a.miracle.  Don't get me wrong, I have had my fair share of crazy moments.  I have been doing laundry, packing and Walmart runs.  I've had a few freak-out moments as I'm trying to cram enough stuff for 6 months into one suitcase...but in the midst I have had the sweet, supernatural peace of Jesus.

 I am moving to China.  For six months.  I shouldn't be peaceful.  The world tells me I shouldn't be peaceful.  You know, its interesting the different comments I've been getting from people when I tell them I'm going to China.  Their eyes get big and they say "Wowwww...China? Really?"  Then they immediately look over to my mama and say, "Carol, how are YOU handling this?" One person actually said (in a cheerful tone), "Bye! Good Luck! I'm scared for you!!"  I know that people mean well.  But its like they want me to be sad and afraid.  It's like they want my mama to be wallowing in depression because she's watching her baby leave.  Its like people think its not possible to be peaceful and calm when I'm moving 7000 miles away.  And my favorite line is this: "Wow, you're so brave.  I could never do that."  Let's just stop a moment so I can laugh out loud.  Folks, I am probably the least brave person you will ever meet.  Adventure does not and I repeat does not come naturally to me.  But here's the bottom line.  I know the God of the Universe. And I refuse to be paralyzed by fear and anxiety.  Not to say that these emotions don't creep in from time to time (more often than I'd like, actually).  But my Jesus DID NOT die on the cross so that I could live a life dictated by FEAR.  Jesus died so I could live in the freedom of HIS PEACE.  Every day. 

His peace is available to all.  Its available every moment of every day. Its available no matter the circumstance.  Its free and abundant.  But we much choose to rest in it.  Because, honestly, sometimes its easier to run around like crazy people with all our worries and fears and insecurities than it is to rest at the feet of Jesus.  Because when we refuse His peace, it gives us the illusion that somehow we're in control of something.  This is a lie from the enemy.  We're not in control (nor do we really want to be!).  So, since we're not in control anyway, doesn't it make much more sense to lay our burdens on Jesus?  Indeed.  God is giving me much opportunity to practice choosing Peace.  Sometimes I succeed...more often, I fall short.  But I'm learning.  I am learning that my sweet Jesus died an excruciating death so that I could have ABUNDANT life.  And that means a life of peace in every situation.  I am learning that Jesus will never ask me to do something that He will not equip me to handle.  Will you learn with me?

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
Psalm 23: 1-3


 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts...
Colossians 3:15