Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hello Dear Ones!

What a joy it is to be writing to you on this Sunday afternoon.  Its chilly and cloudy outside, but I cling to the promise that I need no other sunshine than the Sunshine of His face! It warms my heart and fills my spirit overflowing. 

This week has been a good one, there's never a dull moment on this side of the sea (or on any side of the sea, for that matter...if you're following you know who).  So, I have an announcement to make....I officially have one Chinese friend! Woop Woop!  Her name is Molly.  She's 18 and a senior in highschool...and I'm in love with her! A friend introduced us, and we're going to be "language partners".  That means we'll get together periodically and practice speaking English and Chinese.  We met on Tuesday for the first time.  We had lunch together and had planned on studying all afternoon.  However, Miss Molly does not like to study.  She said, "Let's go shopping first..then we'll study!"  So, she looped her arm into mine and off we went...crowded buses, busy shopping centers, lots of stares..the whole nine yards.  I even talked Molly into getting her ears pierced! So fun.  She introduced me to lots of new Chinese snacks and delicacies and I got a firsthand Chinese shopping experience.  We ended the afternoon by meeting up with some of my friends for dinner...needless to say, we didn't get much studying done.  Maybe next time! ;) 
Molly and me on our shopping adventure

On Tuesday evening, my sweet friend Devin and I made our way to a local coffee shop to share testimonies with each other.  It was such a blessed time together! There is so much power in sharing your story.  We both just sat there and cried together...basking in His faithfulness.  If you haven't shared your story lately, I highly encourage you to.  Or at least spend some time thinking about what you've been brought from and where He's taking you.  Its good for the heart.
On Wednesday evening, after a long day of classes, some Thai girls in our dormitory wanted to cook dinner for me and Devin.  It was so fun and delicious.  The Thai girls don't speak English and we obviously don't speak Thai, so we had to communicate with what little Chinese we know.  It was quite comical..and we spend majority of the time giggling and awkwardly staring at each other.  Only in China! I'm so excited and thankful for the opportunity to have friends from so many nations.






On Thursday evening, my friend Amanda and I went over to the home of a couple from America.  They were so warm and welcoming! They even cooked us a western meal of chicken Alfredo and chocolate chip cookies!  It was such a refreshing time and chatting and fellowship.  My heart was light as we left.
On Friday, a group of us (including Molly) went to a Chinese aquarium! It was oh so much fun.  There were polar bears, seals, walruses, sea lions, penguins...you name it.  But I'm not sure if the animals or the foreigners were the bigger attraction.  At one point, we had about 20 middle-schoolers gathered around us taking pictures and screaming "You are beautiful!" in their cute accents.  Gooooood day.




Pictures with the foreigners!
  
Ohhh China :)


On Saturday, Devin and I spent the whole day with my Chinese host family.  They picked us up at 9am and we attended an art lesson.  Then, Baba (dad) pulled out some maps of the city and showed us places we should visit.  I had packed some uno cards and the game was quite a hit with Didi (little brother).  He was really good! We had lunch together and then attended a festival for a minority group's holiday.  After afternoon tea, we went shopping at an antique market and then had dinner.  It was a great, long day.  Devin and I enjoyed getting to know the family.  They were so welcoming and gracious to us all day. 
Baba, Devin, Me, Ma ma, Art Teacher, Little Brother, Little Nephew


So there you have it.  A full week in Zhongguo.  Now for an afternoon of studying! May He give me joy even in that. :)  There is so much on my heart that I desperately want to share...but for various reasons, I cannot.  Please continue the prayers and know that big things are happening on this side of the sea.  Even if the biggest things are within my little ole' sinful heart. I continue to wonder why my best friend continues to pursue me, when I am constantly breaking His heart.  I am a big mess of unbelief.  But this morning, He reminded me of Peter, who denied his best friend three times and continued to doubt...yet he was the rock for future generations.  He loves big messes like us. Oh, heal our unbelief!

I will leave you with a few quotes from Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray.  Its rocking my world.

Be not afraid that He will command from you what He will not bestow.

At every tea-table you see it.  Why is tea poured into that cup? Because its empty, and given up for the tea.  But put ink, or vinegar, or wine into it, and will they pour the tea into the vessel?  And can He fill you, can He bless you if you are not absolutely surrendered to Him? He cannot.

Lots of love from the far side,
Abby

2 comments:

  1. Came across your blog from Robbie's Thank you for your love for the orphans in China. Two former orphans are my beautiful daughters! Praying for you in this exciting journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an articulate communicator,Abby. Your blog is an inspiration to those of us here who are praying for you daily! We do so often pray for those on the far side of the sea in such general terms, but you make everything and everyone so real that I cannot help by pray more personally and specifically. Especially now for the souls in Japan who so need the Savior we know so personally. I pray for you that you will continue to share the Jesus you really know, the sacrifice He made just for us, and the reality of His love for each one of His creations. May just watching you give them a glimpse of what He is capable of doing for each one of us, may it cause them to seek Him out, and may many lives be forever changed because you obeyed His voice. May God's love surround you, protect you and bring you peace and joy. May He encamp His angels round about you to keep you safe and well. Keep your eyes and ears always tuned heavenward. Praying for you.

    Rae Ann Cooler
    Prayer Team
    Destination Church

    ReplyDelete