Friday, March 4, 2011

One Month!

Hello to all my faithful warriors


I apologize for my delay in writing a new post! I've got a lot on my heart this afternoon, so I'll try to condense all the thoughts and emotions into a sensible post...but bear with me :)


Yesterday marked my one month anniversary in China! To be honest, it seems like I've been here a whole year already.  I feel like time moves slower here in the far side...but maybe that's still the "adjustment phase" talking.  Some days are really really good.  Some days are really really hard.  Today is a hard day.  Just being honest.
My first week of classes has been...good and challenging.  Monday was pretty hard just getting back into the swing of school days.  I realized that I haven't been in school in almost 3 months!  I suppose I forgot about the daily grind of classes and homework.  My Chinese class is a little overwhelming.  I'm staring in Elementary level 2.  So its still a beginner level, but starting in book two.  I was overwhelmed by the characters.  Its just so hard to learn and remember all the characters for the words.  I'm praying for supernatural memory power!   Tuesday was better school-wise, and I think I'll get into the swing of things soon.  Here's my daily school schedule:
Monday: 8:30-12- Chinese
Tuesday: 10:30-12-Chinese 2-3:30 Chinese
Wednesday: 8:30-12 Chinese 1:30-4:30- Chinese Religion
Thursday: 8:30-12 Chinese 1:30-4:30 Chinese Culture
Friday 10:20-12 Chinese

So, as you can see...it's a lot of hours in a physical classroom.  And that doesn't count the hours of homework! I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to memorize the characters.  So far, I've discovered that writing on my bathroom wall with a dry erase marker is working pretty well.  That way, I can erase and write again..erase and write again...erase and write again. :)  It is exciting to see the progress though.  I feel like I have already improved some in one week!

On Saturday evening, the Asia Learn students went to a dinner where we were paired with Chinese "host families".  My family consists of a Dad, Mom and little brother.  My didi (little brother) is seven years old and quite possibly the cutest kid ever! He was so excited to meet his new jie jie and ge ge (big sister and big brother). It was really fun having dinner with my new family, they seem really nice and welcoming.  I am hanging out with then again next weekend and looking forward to being shown around the city with a local family.  I pray we can build a lasting relationship.

I've given you a brief overview of my life from the outside.  Everything seems to be falling into place as I witness His faithfulness first hand.  Every moment of every day, He is faithful.  My "inside" life isn't quite as orderly! Its filled with ups and downs, twists and turns.  I'll try to explain.

One thing I'm learning is this: sin does not evaporate just because we change locations.  I think we sometimes have a glamorized view of life abroad.  We label those people who move abroad as "heroes" (and they definitely are, because there are being obedient to the Call).  But I think we (or at least I) view them as spiritual giants who never struggle with selfishness, laziness, or pride.  Life is hard, but they completely trust Him every moment.  We all wish we could be as good as they are.  We wish we were that close to Him.  Don't get me wrong, I love to read about and observe the lives of many faith heroes.  We can learn a lot from them.  But, they are still sinful humans in need of a Savior.  Am I making any sense?

I have followed my Best Friend to the far side of the sea.  I was obedient in taking one small step towards Him.  But I am still Abby Elizabeth Akridge, the sinner.  Abby, saved by His grace alone.  I am still trapped in a body of sin and selfishness and I still cave to those sinful tendencies more often than I ever want to admit.  Moving to China has not healed my tendency toward laziness.  It has not healed my sin of loving home and comforts more than Him.  It has not healed my desire to be in charge of my life.  It has not healed my impatience, my pride, or my self-pity.  Maybe I thought that moving here would automatically make me closer to Him.  It has, but I have to fight for it.  My natural tendency is not to run into His arms when I'm shaking with homesickness.  My natural tendency is not to wake up an hour early to spend time in His presence.  My natural tendency is not to give my time and energy to building relationships with people with whom I have nothing in common.  And even though I've followed Him to China, my natural tendency is not even to seek out relationships with local people.  My natural tendency is still toward sin...and I still have to fight daily.  For my battle is not not against flesh and blood.  My battle is against a nasty enemy who wants nothing more than to see me defeated.  He would love for me to come to China and to still live a life of shallow mediocrity.  It's possible.  That's why we must fight. My friends, we must fight.  We cannot roll over and play dead in our journey with Him.  Taking one step towards Him is just beginning.  We must fight the good fight every day.    A change in location does not heal our sinful hearts.  Only the Healer himself can heal a heart that is torn apart by wickedness.  Only the Healer can take a weak, dirty, selfish mess and make it a masterpiece.

Stay dressed for action and keep your lamps burning, and be like men who are waiting for their master to come home from the wedding feast, so that they may open the door to him at once when he comes and knocks.
Luke 12:35-36
May we stay dressed for action always, allowing Him to gird us with the full armor so that we will be ready to take our stand against the attacks of the enemy.

Please continue to pray over my homesickness.  The bouts are becoming fewer and fewer (Praise Him!)...but they still come.  I try to take every battle to His feet in surrender, but sometimes the battles are very fierce.  I am so thankful  that I have a home to be homesick for.  I have a mommy and a daddy.  I have a place to go to at the end of these 6 months.  There are approximately 147 million children who don't have that.  They live in an eternal state of homesickness.  I am feeling an ounce of their pain...and its excruciating.  Please pray fervently for those precious ones.  

Also, please pray that my Best friend will introduce me to some local friends, and that I will be obedient to His gentle nudging in seeking them out.  I don't want staying comfortable to be an option.

I was talking to my dear friend Ellen last week and I said, "I just feel so weak.  I wish I could be strong.."  And she said, "Really?  Why would you ever want that.  If you were strong, you would have no need for Him."  Wise words.  I am so weak.  He is so strong.  Hallelujuah!

Well, there you have it. My heart is all over the place! 

LOTS of love from the far side!

5 comments:

  1. Struggles abound but that Best Friend of yours will never let you down. Thanks for sharing your heart, it helps to know how to pray. May you have an absolutely awesome week, sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby thank you for sharing this. Especially about the struggles your Best Friend is guiding you through. He used that to reveal alot to me also. I am so thankful for this blog. Especially as my Best Friend is leading me abroad, you bring incredible wisdom from the other side that is so important for me to cling to. Thank you so much Abby. Love you and praying for you.

    His strength is made perfect in your weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Powerful words. I relate so much to what you were saying...I, too, can tend to "glamorize" those who follow God's call to live and serve Him abroad. I've even considered doing so myself, but not for the right reasons. God just keeps reminding me of exactly what you said...I could do something "great" for Him--like move to another part of the world--but then what? Then it's the same daily acts of obedience--getting up, seeking out His call for that day, loving those He places around me--just in a different place. Even so, thank you for being a beautiful example to me of an ordinary girl, not unlike me, who FOLLOWED GOD SCARED...who obeyed, even though it was hard and scary and unknown. I don't know you except through your writing, but I can tell that God is going to work in your life in extraordinary ways...not necessarily because of you, but because you have allowed God to color in the picture of your life. That is my prayer for ME! I want to grow to trust Him so deeply that I can just hand Him my life picture and say, "Go for it, God!" So THANK YOU for answering the call...even if you are still an ordinary sinner...you OBEYED. What a testimony to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your posts Abby. I can relate to you so much and I love your honesty. I'm getting ready to leave in July for almost 6 months abroad at a missions school through YWAM. I haven't even left yet and the homesickness is already hitting me pretty strong. I'm happy to know there is someone similar to me that is taking this step before me, it is an encouragement! May God bless you so greatly for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And, LOTS of love back at you, Abby! It seems your name has come up a lot in the circles where I've been running. Last Saturday, at Messiah Fest, I met either the youth minister or music minister of Destination. He bought a necklace for his wife! We talked of you.

    Today, I spoke at a WMU luncheon at Central Baptist. I shared the scripture you sent to us when we were praying about Drew. (The foolishness of God is wiser than men.) Well, afterwards, the youth pastor came up to me and said, "I know Abby."

    You are leaving a legacy, dear friend. Even with your flesh abiding with you, He is using you to make an impact on the world.

    Prayers for your homesickness...prayers for you to see GREAT and mighty THINGS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete