Monday, March 21, 2011

Just love people





  你好 sweet friends and warriors!

Yep, the pictures don't lie.  That is a monkey sitting on my head.  China just keeps getting more and more fun!
I was a rebel this weekend.  I, Abby Elizabeth Akridge the first, skipped school on Friday.  Yes I know, you can’t believe it.  But its true and I don’t regret one second of it :)  Me and 5 other friends went on a weekend adventure to Le Shen and Mt. Emei.  On Friday, we visited a huge statue of buddha.  On Saturday, we spent the day hiking Mt. Emei.  I've never been on a "real" hike before...but I figured China is a good place to start! And as you can see, the hike included lots of monkeys.  The monkeys are terrifying, really.  When they are released every morning, they begin coming out from everywhere.  And they aren't really nice.  We spent a lot of time screaming and running away.  There were ladies with huge sticks and sling shots who beat the monkeys off the tourists (quite comical if you think about it...).  It was quite the experience...worth a trip to China!  
The hike was beautiful. Definitely some of the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen.  I was once again in awe of my Prince.  The Heavens declare His glory.  Unfortunately, we didn't actually make it to the top of the mountain.  We took a bus to the "almost top" , but when we arrived, it was SO COLD, icy and foggy that we couldn't go any farther.  

Here are a few pictures from the weekend:

Devin and Molly!


It was wonderful to spend time with Molly.  My heart is very burdened for this precious girl.  She has the idea that having a boyfriend and money will bring her happiness.  I long to tell her about my Prince and the true joy that is found only in Him.  We were able to talk some on Saturday evening.  Now my job is to love her well.  

Love her well.  What does it mean to love someone well?  We are so quick to say the words, "I love you".  I am quick to tell everyone I love them.  But I have been very challenged lately about the true meaning of love.  I have always thought I was really good at loving people. But as I'm coming face to face with my sinfulness (as explained in earlier posts), I am beginning to see how poorly I actually love.  Its so easy to love people who love me back.  Its so easy to love people who are like me.  Its so easy to love people who have the same values and morals.  Its easy to love cute, innocent babies.  But what about the people who annoy me?  What about those who are rude or inconsiderate?  What about those who I feel take advantage of me?  What about those who are just plain different from myself?  How do I respond to those people?  

It is purely impossible to love well in my own power.  I am such a poor representation of my Prince.  But, Praise Him! For He "pours His love into our hearts." Romans 5:5.  Its not a work of Abby to love people.  Its a work of JC living in Abby.  

Love is essential.  "The fruit of the Spirit is Love." Galatians 5:  "As I have loved you...love one another." John 13:34,   "If we love one another, He dwells in us" 1 John 4:12. 

What if we stopped trying to convince people to believe and instead began loving? What would our world look like if we began to take time to allow Him to guide our thoughts and actions?  Before we respond in a harsh tone.  Before we let out that long sigh of annoyance.  Before we become withdrawn and grumpy.  What if we allowed Him to pour His love into our hearts, giving us power to love the unloveable.  

By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. John 13:35

Right before I left for China, I visited a sweet little cafe near my town.  The walls were adorned with signs that said:
Just love people

Lets take that advice this week, sweet friends.  Let us bow before the throne, begging to be emptied of ourselves...and begging to be filled with a love that can only come from above. May this love fill our hearts and overflow into our lives...and may we learn to love well. 


4 comments:

  1. This is so timely! I just got back from a weekend visiting my older sister. She lives in a "high crime area," or a "bad neighborhood," and she doesn't just EXIST there, but truly LOVES people better than anyone I know. She and her friends live with and among drug addicts and homeless people, and they love them AS THEY ARE. I was so broken to realize that she and her friends would probably not be welcomed into my church, but in all reality, I truly believe that they are where Jesus is...loving the "least of these" and caring for them in Jesus' name! Such a beautiful thing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY DEAR SWEET LIL SIS

    LOVE IS, LOVING ALL EVEN THE ONES WE THINK ARE NOT WORTHY OF OUR LOVE AND TIME. WHAT A BLESSING IT IS TO SHOW LOVE AND WATCH OUR HEAVENLY FATHER AT WORK! YOUR SO RIGHT WE CAN NOT LOVE ALONG, BUT WITH THE HELP OF OUR FATHER WE CAN LOVE!! MISSING U LOTS!

    YOUR BIG SIS, LINNIE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abbie,

    Thank you for sharing and loving...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I am a young missionary here in Ecuador and i really enjoying reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete